Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Operation No More Paci - Night 1


I have been saying since Samantha's 1st birthday that we need to get rid of the paci. It's not that bad, it stays in her crib and she only uses it for sleeping. However, it bothers me. Now, here we are past her second birthday and she still has 5 pacis in her crib at all times. So the other day when Samantha said she didn't need a paci and was a big girl, I jumped on the chance. We decided to give the pacis to Baby Marley, one if our friends. Samantha was a big girl, it didn't bother her at all when we handed them over to him. In fact she said, I'm a big girl. You're a baby. It was very cute and I was very hopeful of our first night without them. I pretended that I gave them all away, but I did save two and hid them away for safekeeping. Naptime when by great, she went to sleep without it and didn't ask for it. Then came bedtime...

Samantha laid down in her crib and didn't ask for it. Then in 20 minutes the crying began. "I want to hold you mommy". Over and over again. I went it, we talked, and she had to la back down. This went on for about 45 minutes until she actually asked for it. "Where's my paci?". I told her she gave it to Baby Marley because he needed it. She wasn't buying it. I wanted to stay strong and not give in. She's too old for it. Tim, however, had different ideas. As we stood in the hallway outside her room arguing quietly about what to do, she was still crying, although still not asking for it more than once or twice. Tim claims I'm mean, and like "torturing" our child. He actually used that word, obviously I disagree. But last night I gave in. When I finally gave it to her after an hour she took it, rolled over and went to sleep.

After she was asleep an hour I went back in and took it away. My doctor told me to do this, I don't know if it will help or not. Any thoughts, anyone going through this? Is Tim right, is it no big deal since it's only at night and in the crib? As a sidenote she also went down for her nap today without it. Progress? I'd like to think so, but really, who knows?

2 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh boy. We need to get rid of the pacifier too. I'm in the same boat as you. He was using it only in bed from about 9 months or maybe before. But he hasn't wanted to give it up, and I have not pushed the issue believing it wasn't hurting anything. Our ped recommended getting rid of it before he turned 2, but we just passed that date. Oops, but only yesterday.

In our case, my husband is fine with getting him to get rid of it. I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I'm afraid he won't nap without mostly. But it sounds like that's working fine for you. I think not having it at naptime is a HUGE step.

I think you're doing the right thing. And your husband is wrong, you're not mean. The pacifier has to go at some point.

This gives me inspiration to give it a try in my house. I'm thinking maybe I can trade his paci for a new stuffed animal to take to bed with him.

I'm interested in your progress. Let me know how it goes. Oh, did she wake up the first night and cry for it after you took it?

Swistle said...

Oh, these issues are SO HARD. I have thumb-suckers and I never know what I should do about it. The dentist told us that the way our son was sucking his thumb (only when going to sleep, and then his suck-hold ((for lack of a better word)) loosening as he fell asleep) was okay.....but I've heard that different dentists say different things.

I don't think it would hurt her to have it. On the other hand, it bugs you and that's important too. I wouldn't know what to do if I were you!