Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, June 02, 2006

What to do?


Sam and I are having a little struggle. Every night she falls asleep while I'm feeding her the bottle, then I put her in her crib. Some people think that's a bad habit and that I should let her fall asleep on her own and "cry it out". Tonight I put her in bed awake and she cried for 25 minutes before I went and picked her up. As soon as I pick her up she goes right to sleep. It's so easy that way, why should I let her cry? And it was painful letting her cry for 25 minutes. Well after that I think Sam decided to punish me for letting her cry. Since then she's been waking up and crying every hour or so. She's having a really hard night tonight, could it be because I let her cry in the beginning. I'm really not sure what to do with this one. With most parenting things, I know what I want to do:
Breastfeeding: Pro, but not for too long, I did it for 4 months and was happy with that
Cosleeping: Con, however, if she wakes up in the morning I will feed her and then she can go back to sleep in the bed
Reading: Pro, pro, pro. I've been reading to Sam since she was in utero, and do every night. It's impt to teach them this early on.
TV: Con, I don't want Sam to watch TV until she's at least 2, no kid shows, if sometimes she catches some small parts of TV with us, that's okay.
Music: Pro, I've been playing Mozart for her since in utero.
Pacifiers: Only when napping, sleeping, or really upset. After a year none at all.

So, as you can see, I pretty much know what I think about things, but not this one. I go back and forth, should I let her cry, shouldn't I? I just don't know... But I'm leaning towards no, we still have a routine, same thing happens, same time for bedtime, so is it so bad if she falls asleep in the rocker in my arms instead of on my own. It'll stop on it's own as she gets bigger, right? Oh well, I'm sure we'll have more updates about the ongoing saga of whether or not to cry-it-out. As always, Samantha has us wrapped around her tiny little finger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie fell asleep every night until she was at least a year and a half, on the couch, playing with my hair. It was a pain to carry her upstairs as she was getting big, but the bonding we shared every night will live in my heart forever. I sure miss that snuggling now as she is a big girl of 5 and can go to bed all by herself. Enjoy her, Samantha will be big in the blink of an eye.